The gastric balloon is a new FDA-approved minimally invasive procedure for weight loss that involves inserting a balloon in your stomach to help give the feeling of fullness and reduce appetite. This procedure is best suited for people who are overweight or obese and have been unable to lose weight through diet and exercise. NorthShore is one of only a few hospitals in Illinois to offer it.
What to Expect During a Gastric Balloon Procedure
During a gastric balloon procedure, a balloon is inserted endoscopically through the mouth into the stomach and then filled with saline. This is a same-day procedure, and will take less than thirty minutes to complete.
The balloon will be removed after 6 months, the maximum amount of time it can remain in place.
What to Expect After a Gastric Balloon Procedure
- You will need 2 hours for recovery and observation.
- You can return to normal activity after being discharged.
- You may experience nausea for the first 3 days or so, until your body gets used to the balloon.
- Minimal discomfort for the first few days, then a feeling of fullness.
- You will have the most success by following a healthy diet and exercise program.
Insurance does not cover the gastric balloon procedure for weight loss. This is a self-pay procedure. The price includes insertion and removal of the balloon and 1 year of follow-up – 6 months with the balloon and 6 months after the balloon is removed. Your physician will discuss this with you during your consultation.
For More Information
The gastric balloon procedure is now available at Evanston Hospital. For more information or to schedule and appointment, please call 847.570.1700.