Our Pediatric Rhinology program offers comprehensive, family-centered care with a multidisciplinary approach in order to meet each individual patient’s healthcare needs. Our physicians fellowship-trained in pediatric otolaryngology - head and neck surgery will frequently include members from the Allergy, Asthma & Immunology and Pulmonary Medicine departments in the care of these patients.
Conditions treated by our specialists include:
- Adenoid/Adenotonsillar hypertrophy
- Allergic and nonallergic rhinitis
- Chronic and recurrent sinusitis
- Congenital nasal airway obstruction, including choanal atresia, pyriform aperture stenosis, nasolacrimal duct cysts, and congenital sinus and nasal tumors
- Deviated nasal septum and nasal turbinate enlargement
- Nasal, nasopharyngeal and sinus tumors such as angiofibroma
- Sinonasal polyposis
Diagnosis and Treatment
As their immune systems develop, children are likely to have several bouts of common illnesses each year. However, some children develop recurrent or chronic bacterial sinus infections that are more difficult to identify and treat.
When this occurs, there can be a multitude of factors at play, including:
- Anatomic issues (adenoid hypertrophy/drainage pathway bony obstruction)
- Environmental allergies
- Extraesophageal reflux
- Immune deficiency
- Nonallergic nasal inflammation
- Recurrent viral respiratory infections
Our specialists will work to discover the exact underlying cause, often collaborating with Allergy, Asthma & Immunology, Pulmonary Medicine and Infectious Disease divisions.
Should a child’s difficulty with normal breathing or drainage be caused by allergies, medical methods of intervention, such as saline rinses, nasal steroid spray and antihistamines will be implemented and will often resolve the issue. More serious issues, such as a tumor, may require minimally invasive surgical intervention to remove the airway obstruction for better breathing and drainage of the nasal and sinus cavities.
Our surgical procedures include:
- Choanal atresia and pyriform aperture stenosis repair
- Ciliary biopsies
- Endoscopic sinus surgery, including revisions and computer image guided sinus surgery
- Endoscopic skull base approaches
- Maxillary and sphenoid sinus irrigation with or without balloon assisted dilation of the ostia
- Nasal endoscopy
- Nasolacrimal duct cyst marsupialization
- Septoplasty and nasal septal reconstruction
- Turbinate Surgery
For More Information
For more information or to schedule an appointment, please call 847.504.3300.