The Child Life Program at Evanston Hospital, a part of NorthShore University HealthSystem, offers learning opportunities for undergraduate and graduate level students aspiring to become a Certified Child Life Specialist.
Students in our program are invited to join us in the pursuit of providing family-centered psychosocial care to children and families during their healthcare experience.
Child Life Internship Update:
We will not be accepting applications for prospective Child Life internship applicants until Summer 2020. Please reach out to Katelyn Beyer, our child life coordinator, with any additional questions.
Child Life Practicum:
Our NorthShore Child Life team will be offering a child life practicum for students beginning summer 2019. We offer practicum opportunities every fall, winter and summer.
Our Child Life Practicum is designed for students interested in pursuing child life who would like to gain further exposure to the child life field. Students will be able to learn through observation, therapeutic play and developmentally supportive interventions.
- The practicum is one day per week (8 hours).
- We only accept students affiliated with a college or university.
- There is a minimum requirement of 100 hours for our child life practicum.
If you are interested in completing a child life practicum with us, please submit the following materials and send to the address listed below:
- Official college transcripts (undergraduate and graduate), sealed by registrar
- Two letters of recommendation (one from a CCLS)
- Recommendation letters must be sent in a sealed envelope with a sender’s signature across the seal.
- (2) 300 to 500-word essays answering the following questions:
- Describing your philosophy of child life and how you propose that a practicum experience will contribute to your professional goals.
- Why Child Life? What about this profession in comparison to other child-related fields that advocate for children’s needs?
Practicum Application Deadlines
- Fall 2019 Child Life practicum deadline is July 10th, 2019.
- Winter/Spring Child Life practicum deadline is November 4th, 2019
Please send all practicum application materials to:
Attn: Katelyn Beyer
NorthShore Child Life
2650 RIDGE AVE
WALGREEN BUILDING SUITE 1505
EVANSTON, IL 60201-1700
The deadline for summer practicum applicants is March 4th, 2019.
Please contact Katelyn Beyer at firstname.lastname@example.org or 847.570.2831 with any further questions.
Meet the NorthShore Child Life Team!
- Katelyn Beyer, BA, CCLS, Coordinator of Child Life Services
Phone: 847.570.2831 Email: Kbeyer@northshore.org
- Alex Schober, BS, CCLS, Child Life Specialist, Outpatient/Surgery
Phone: 847.570.2831 Email: Aschober@northshore.org
For More Information
For more information on our child life program or other inquiries about donations, volunteer opportunities or our student program, please contact:
Katelyn Beyer, CCLS
Child Life Coordinator