The Child Life Program at Evanston Hospital, a part of NorthShore University HealthSystem, offers learning opportunities for undergraduate and graduate-level students aspiring to become a Certified Child Life Specialist.
Students in our program are invited to join us in the pursuit of providing family-centered psychosocial care to children and families during their healthcare experience.
Child Life Internship
Evanston Hospital offers internships to students pursuing a bachelor’s or master’s degree in child life, child development or a related field. Internship opportunities are available during both the academic year and the summer. The program is available to students available 40 hours a week for 15 weeks.
Students are given opportunities to develop skills in assessment and intervention, therapeutic play, and professionalism. The student's clinical supervisor (a certified child life specialist) and other staff members in the program provide instruction and guidance as well as regular opportunities for reflective supervision.
The internship program subscribes to the guidelines established by the Association of Child Life Professionals in both the hours of service required and in the content of the field experience. Interns will complete a minimum of 600 hours during their internship.
We will be offering both Fall and Winter/Spring applicants for the upcoming 2020-2021 internship sessions.
We will not be accepting child life internship or practicum for Summer 2019 applicants.
Criteria for Child Life Internship Candidates
All applications must be received by the application deadline dates set forth by the Association of Child Life Professionals: Internship Deadline Dates These dates will be followed for all internship timeline and offer dates as well.
Before applying for internship placement, please review the following criteria to make certain that you qualify:
Students will be enrolled in a bachelor’s or master’s program in child life, child development, early childhood education, or related field. We only accept university-affiliated students for internship and practicum placements.
- Students will have extensive coursework in child development, including completion of ACLP online coursework.
- Completion of a course taught by a certified child life specialist
- Course work reviewed/accepted according to ACLP eligibility requirements
- Completion of 100+ hours of volunteering within a child life department in a healthcare setting
- Students will have at least 200 hours of cumulative experience working with infants, well children, youth and/or families in a variety of settings.
- Practicum not required for this internship placement, but highly encouraged.
Child Life Internship Requirements and Expectations
- A complete orientation to NorthShore University Healthsystem including health screening and criminal background check (this must be completed in person on campus)
- Written goals and objectives for the internship experience
- Weekly meetings with student supervisor
- Internship case study and project for completion during placement and presentation to the child life staff
- Participation in evaluation at regular intervals throughout the clinical experience
Requirements for Child Life Internship Application Process
Download and complete the Application Form (PDF), print, and mail it along with a copy of:
- ACLP’s common child life internship application (PDF)
- Resume/Cover Letter
- Official college transcripts (undergraduate and graduate)
- Three professional reference forms (from the common application packet) who have observed your work with children (i.e. professors, colleagues, professional mentors.) At least one form is required to be written by a CCLS who has directly observed your work with children and adolescents in a hospital setting.
Please note: Only completed application packets will be reviewed for an internship interview. Please ensure that you submit all materials listed/provided in the common application, in addition to a resume/cover letter, transcripts and recommendation forms by the deadline.
Please mail all completed application materials to:
Attn: NorthShore Child Life Program
Katelyn Beyer, BA, CCLS, Coordinator of Child Life Services
2650 Ridge Avenue Walgreens Building Suite 1505
Evanston, IL 60068
The child life student coordinator will review your application and notify you of the status of your application via phone or email for a potential interview.
Child Life Practicum:
Our NorthShore Child Life team offers child life practicum opportunities every fall, winter, and summer. Please note: We will not be offering a child life practicum during summer 2020.
Our Child Life Practicum is designed for students interested in pursuing child life who would like to gain further exposure to the child life field. Students will be able to learn through observation, therapeutic play, and developmentally supportive interventions.
- The practicum is one day per week (8 hours). It can be flexible with your schedule if needed.
- We only accept students affiliated with a college or university. Unfortunately, we do not accept students who are unaffiliated or a student seeking an independent status.
- There is a minimum requirement of 100 hours for our child life practicum.
If you are interested in completing a child life practicum with us, please submit the following materials and send to the address listed below:
- Official college transcripts (undergraduate and graduate), sealed by the registrar
- Two letters of recommendation (one from a CCLS)
- Recommendation letters must be sent in a sealed envelope with a sender’s signature across the seal.
- (2) 300 to 500-word essays answering the following questions:
- Describing your philosophy of child life and how you propose that a practicum experience will contribute to your professional goals.
- Why Child Life? What about this profession in comparison to other child-related fields that advocate for children’s needs?
Practicum Application Deadlines
- We follow the ACLP deadlines for all practicum and internship applications.
Please send all practicum application materials to:
Attn: Katelyn Beyer
NorthShore Child Life
2650 RIDGE AVE
WALGREEN BUILDING SUITE 1505
EVANSTON, IL 60201-1700
Please contact Katelyn Beyer at email@example.com or 847.570.2831 with any further questions.
Meet the NorthShore Child Life Team!
- Katelyn Beyer, BA, CCLS, Coordinator of Child Life Services
Phone: 847.570.2831 Email: Kbeyer@northshore.org
For More Information
For more information on our child life program or other inquiries about donations, volunteer opportunities or our student program, please contact:
Katelyn Beyer, CCLS
Child Life Coordinator