Cornea & Refractive Surgery Specialist
Department of Ophthalmology
NorthShore Eye & Vision Center
- Undergraduate: Bachelor of Arts in Biology (Business Minor), State University of New York at Albany, Albany, NY.
- Medical School: Doctor of Medicine, The Chicago Medical School, North Chicago, IL.
- Internship: Transitional, University of Illinois – Ravenswood Hospital, Chicago, IL.
- Residency: Ophthalmology, Nassau University Medical Center/S.U.N.Y at Stony Brook (Chairman/Program Director: Dr. Marcelle Morcos), East Meadow, NY.
- Fellowship: Cornea & Refractive Surgery, Louisiana State University (Preceptors: Drs. Herbert Kaufman, Michael Insler, Bruce Baron), New Orleans, LA.
- American Board of Ophthalmology Certified - 2004 to Present
- License to practice medicine and surgery in Illinois - 2006 to Present
- License to practice medicine and surgery in New York - 2004-2006
- License to practice medicine and surgery in Louisiana - 2003-2004
- License to practice medicine and surgery in Illinois - 1999-2000
Research and Academic Interests
- Sub-Investigator - Cornea Preservation Time Study, National Eye Institute (2012- present)
- Principal Investigator- Adenoviral Conjunctivitis Drug Trial, NovaBay Pharmaceuticals (2012-2014)
- Principal Investigator – Adenovirus Drug Trial, Alcon Pharmaceuticals (2009-2010)
- Co-Investigator – Phase 11b Dry Eye Drug Trial (2008-2010)
- Basic Science Research – Northwestern University/Children’s Memorial Hospital, Department of Dermatology, Preceptor: Dr. Amy Paller (1998-1999)
- Clinical Research – Department of Dermatology, Preceptor: Dr. Darryl Bronson (1998)
- Clinical Assistant Professor, The University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine, Chicago, IL (2009-Present)
- Assistant Professor, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Evanston, IL (2006-2009)
- Assistant Professor of Cornea & Refractive Surgery, Nassau University Medical Center, Long Island, NY (2004-2006)
- Co-Residency Program Director, The University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine, Chicago, IL (2009-2010)
- Co-Residency Program Director, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Evanston, IL (2006-2009)
Honors and Awards
- Performed over 2,000 refractive procedures
- Certification by Ziemer – LDV femtosecond laser
- Certification by Alcon – LADAR Vision Excvimer Laser, ReSTOR presbyopic IOL
- Certification by VISX-s4 (Custom View Hyperopia, Myopia, Mixed Astigmatism)
- Certification by AMO – Amadeus Microkeratome
- Skilled in Nidek Excimer Laser
- Skilled in Hansatome Microkeratome
Other Opthalmic Experiences
Alcon ReSTOR Course (August 2005)
World Cornea Congress V
Wills Ophthalmology Annual Review Course
LancasterCourse in Ophthalmology
Armed Forces Institute of Pathology Course in Ophthalmic Pathology
American Academyof Ophthalmology Annual Meetings
- American Society of Cataract & Refractive Surgery Annual Meetings
- American Board of Ophthalmology
- American Academy of Ophthalmology
- American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery
- New York State Ophthalmological Society
- Love Island Ophthalmological Society
- Suffolk County Ophthalmological Society
- Nassau County Ophthalmological Society
- Suffolk County Academy of Medicine
- American Medical Association
- Peponis V.Rosenberg P. Reddy SV, Herz JB, Kaufman HE. The use of the Fugo Blade in corneal surgery; a preliminary animal study, Cornea,. 25(2):206-8,2006.
- Peponis V. Herz JB, Kaufman HE. The role of corticosteroids in fungal keratitis: a different view. British Journal of Ophthalmology. 88(9):1227,2004.
- Silverberg NB. Herz J. Wagner A. Paller AS. Erythema dyschromicum perstans in prepubertal children. Pediatric Dermatology. 20(5):398-403, 2003.
Invited Lectures/Teaching/Volunteer Experience:
- Conjunctival Squamous Cell Carcinoma, Annual Residents Meeting, New York Eye&Ear Infirmary (New York, NY) - June 2002.
- Supervision of residents in OR/Clinic, Nassau University Medical Center (East Meadow, NY) - 2005-2006.
- 33rd Family Practice Update, Louisiana State University - April 2004.
- Complimentary Eye Exams at Nassau Coliseum, New York Juvenile Diabetes Association.
- Organized blood drive for the Chicago Medical School, American Medical Association -April 1996.